Indian Ameri

Wednesday

Quips Unintentional

The pre-PhD-defense months is a taut period of overwhelming stress owing to the reason that these few days govern the route of what we entirely pursue in the future. Saying that, the age at which most PhDians try to direct the future also plays a role in adding salt to the wounded stress. I am no exception to this rule and am going through my fair share of stress. But, experience of a not so sparkling PhD has also taught me the virtues of patience and calmness of mind. What lacks the most in times of such strenuous workload is a 'true' reason to shed out a heartfelt smile.... Fortunately, every now and then, I send out and receive a few quips that snork my way into a good mood. Here are a few unintentional quips that occurred in the past one month that lead to an intentional progress, both in work and play.

These are excerpts from a bunch of emails between self and my advisor/collaborator
1. Sub: 'The' Lunch Plan
Dr. H,
Guess today is your last day as Assistant Professor. Wondering if the lab gets free lunch anytime soon celebrating your promotion to Associate Professorship? :D
Hari (on behalf of the lab members and my tummy)

Re: 'The' Lunch Plan
That is awful nice of you to offer to take me and the rest of the lab out to celebrate my promotion. It is greatly appreciated, and we definitely need to get it on the calendar.

2. Sub: Extension
Thanks Dr. H for the letter.
PS - Here's something that might bring a small smile. http://www.state-journal.com/news/article/4844862
PPS - I did walk the team through winning at the end.
Thanks a lot
Hari

Re: Sub (modified): Butter Fingers
What is with the gloves butter fingers? Man up and catch like every other player in the team.

3. Sub: Paper Draft
T and Dr. L
Attached herewith is the first draft on our NEP work. Please advice based on your initial review.
PS - I have some updated plasma results (also attached) that might interest you.
Thanks a lot
Hari

Re: Paper Draft
Hari, let's meet on Tuesday to discuss on my comments on the paper. The results are pretty interesting. You just gained your way into in vivo studies as per your wish. T will be sending a protocol for some mice studies. Discuss with him to finalize the protocol. Also, ensure that you continue with the Midas touch. The worst thing that can happen if it disappears is that the mice may croak. Grribbbbbit!!
4. Sub: H6 Macromer
Dr. H,
We (D and I) are out of isobutyl amine and PEG400DA.With the new in-situ precipitation working in the H6 matrix, we need to synthesize more macromer. Please advice. Thanks a lot
Hari

Re: H6 Macromer
Please jab D prepare an order form, and we will get it ordered.

Re:Re: Will do right in the ribs where she feels the pain... :)
Hari

Re:Re:Re: Jab = have...please do not hurt D. Got to love autofill typing.

Re:Re:Re:Re: (D's e-mail to Dr. H): Dr. H, I need half a day holiday tomorrow to see the doctor. Hari's jab has opened some of my past surgical stitches.
Thank a lot
D

Re: ... Re: Very funny Ali. Next time don't include your signature of "Thanks a lot" from her mail box. Can you send me the KSEF grant report by morning tomorrow? If not, I'm going to bite your ears of in the boxing ring.

Labels: ,

posted by Unknown at Wednesday, June 30, 2010

3 Comments:

things are looking up, eh ?

wow and i could actually READ through the full thing. heh :p

9:56 PM  

If I thot u were good at quips, ur Prof beats u hands down :P
Interesting to see tat there is atleast something that seems to cheer u up these days :)

12:25 PM  

@Abhikoo - There's always ppl who figure out a way to see the funny side of life. Fortunately, am trying my best to be in it da. PS - Good to see that ur IQ has improved in understanding the post (unlike the rest)

@Bubbles - I wish my 2-4th yrs were productive in research. If it had been, things would have been much merry around our mentor-mentee relationship.
I know - its rather sad that only a few things are cheering me up from my heart blocks...

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home